The National Restaurant Association’s (NRA) “What’s Hot in 2013” survey of more than 1,800 professional chefs—members of the American Culinary Federation (ACF)—reveals that children’s nutrition and local sourcing will continue to be the hottest trends on restaurant menus.
The chefs also said the best ways to address rising food costs are to change menus, adjust plate composition, and explore sourcing options.
According to the survey, the top 10 menu trends for 2013 will be:
- Locally sourced meats and seafood
- Locally grown produce
- Healthful kids' meals
- Environmental sustainability as a culinary theme
- Children's nutrition as a culinary theme
- New cuts of meat (e.g. Denver steak, pork flat iron, teres major)
- Hyper-local sourcing (e.g. restaurant gardens)
- Gluten-free cuisine
- Sustainable seafood
- Whole-grain items in kids' meals